Saturday, October 06, 2007

Great day of hunting

This morning I went out hunting with my cousin Rich. We went out to bow hunt for Deer on the opening day of Buck season. We were in the tree stands in Luckets VA at around 6:00am. I didn't see any movement until around 7:30 when I saw some legs go by in some brush about 50 yards away. I thought, boy did I pick the wrong tree. I should have gone farther up the hill. But I was happy to see that the Deer turned my way and came out from the cover at about 3 yards from me and was coming my way. I noticed he had Antlers so I stood up to get ready for a possible shot. NOTE: I have missed about 8 times with my bow and never hit a deer. I am dead on with a gun but its definitely a challenge with a bow. My range is only about 15 -25 yards max. We'll this guy walked right to my 15 yard mark and turned sideways and was not stopping. So I didn't really have a lot of time to think about the shot other than what I was taught. Draw the bow back, get the site on, bend at the waste, aim a little low and "Trigger Down" when ready. This time the shot made a different sound than usual. It actually felt like I hit him. I saw him stumble a little bit and jump off about 25 yards away and stand there. I think this where he said, "What the heck was that?" As usual I sat there and waited a little bit thinking, did I hit him? About 2 minutes later I hear a loud stumble and fall about 25 yards away and that gave me the clue that I must have hit him. I got down from the tree about 10 minutes later and I saw a large Doe coming the same way so I hung out in my tree stand for a little bit. After I got down and the Doe had gone off away from me, I went to where I shot. There my arrow lay as usual, but this time was showing a clear sign that I had a direct hit. I'll leave out the details from here other than, I found my 6 point buck about 25 yards from where I shot him. Perfect shot!! What a great morning...The blows are starting the season early with Venison.




Here are some pics.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home